Re: Re: HT of choice?

Just a comment on list as I have already sent comments off list. Using the
LEO's portable a bunch I have found my Kenwood D7 works as good as anyone
could wont. Hearing Allen N5AFV and his telescoping whip and his Icom W34
makes me believe that is a fine rig for satellite as well. Past that I can
not comment.

The extra features of the D7 i.e. TNC and APRS functions I believe makes
it the best choice. Might as well get all you can for your money. I have
never heard anyone comment on not being pleased with either rig.

Whatever you get I hope to work you soon on satellite.

73's << John

> I have the Alinco DJ-G5T.  It runs full duplex and also hears well.
> It's also taken some pretty heavy abuse and only the original battery
> pack had much problem with that.
>
> I've also had the ICOM-W2A and i found it did a decent job in an
> urbanized environment.  It's sad that most of our choices are used
> gear.
>
> Yaesu VX-7R has wide receive coverage and that pretty much precludes
> full duplex operation.  Alas, most HTs being made today are also made
> to be scanners and that means they won't be full duplex.  The problem
> is that you need a good diplexer to run full duplex, and that means
> there's going to be a major dead spot between 2m and 70cm, which the
> marketing people don't want.
>
> Hint to newcomers:  Bring headphones (and your license) when you test
> a radio.  Listen to the weather service on VHF with headphones and
> transmit on UHF.  If you don't hear an interruption in VHF audio, you
> have a radio that can run full duplex.  An Arrow satellite antenna with
> built-in diplexer is highly recommended to use with such a radio.
>
> I think AMSAT needs to do a major lobbying job on HT manufacturers, as
> we can't make much of impression on them individually.
>
> 		    -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, Satellite QRPer)

<<<<<      N4QWF Amateur Radio Operator      >>>>>
<<<<< AO-7,AO-27,FO-29,SO-50,AO-51,VO-52,ISS >>>>>
<<<<<     Internet Email N4QWF@AMSAT.ORG     >>>>>
<<<<<         Formerly KC4AHW VK3FEZ         >>>>>
<<<<<           Amsat Member #27845          >>>>>
<<<<<     LON -79.25 LAT 37.45 Grid FM07     >>>>>
<<<<<   From the Foothills of the Blueridge  >>>>>