Re: icom 970h

Hi Wallace:

Last July, I spent several days working with Erich Eichmann - DK1TB, the
developer of SatPC32, to determine if SatPC32 would work with my IC-970H and
provide automatic Doppler tuning.  I was very pleased to find that it works
very well.

According SatPC32's documentation, the following Icom satellite radios are
supported:  "IC-820H, IC-821H, IC-910H, and other Icom radios using the same
protocol".

The features of the IC-970 are most similar to the IC-820 and the IC-821.  I
used the operator's manuals to compare the CI-V command support for each
radio.   The CI-V commands for the two radios are the same, EXCEPT for the
"Main Band Access" and "Sub Band Access"commands.

For some strange reason, these two CI-V commands are reversed in the IC-820,
compared to the IC-821, IC-910, and the IC-970.  Therefore, as far as CI-V
commands, the IC-821 is most similar to the IC-970.

My IC-970H CI-V is set at the default address of "2E", 9600 bd. and
"transceive mode" is set to "on".

I tried changing the transceive mode to "off" and "on" once the program
began working correctly.  It does not make any difference whether it is set
to off" or "on" with my IC-970.

SatPC32 "Options" settings are: IC-821, address of "$2E" and 9600 bd.

The "SatSetup" program in SatPC32 must have the "CAT Delay" set correctly
for your radio.    I tried several different settings, but "70" provides the
best operation with my IC-970H.

My WinXP com port settings are the standard "8", "N", & "1", with no
handshaking.

Since SatPC32  Vs. 12.3 accepts Com 1 thru Com 9, I had no problems in using
a USB to com port adapter instead of a normal RS-232 com port.  I am using a
"MicroHam" USB / CI-V interface with my IC-970H and it works very well.

SatPC32 is a complex program that takes a fair amount of time to set up and
become comfortable with.  However, the time spent setting up the S/W and
then learning how to use it is time WELL spent.

SatPC32 is a great program that is VERY flexible and  is very well
documented.  In addition, Eric donates all monies collected from the sale of
SatPC32 to AMSAT.

Erich told me that he is working on a SatPC32 update which will make the
setup even easier.

73,

Woody
KJ4SO