Re: Sea Launch prepares to launch Galaxy 16 satellite

SeaLaunch History:

A point of History, was that our predecessor to PCSAT-1 was
supposed to be on the 1st Sea Launch in 1999.  We heard about the
launch opportuniy 3 months before launch and built a quickie
TNC satellite and got to within a week of shipping to the launch
integrator but the State Departement stepped in and said that
the Amateur Satellite was not part of the original Manifest.

And no way was a "DOD payload" (we are a government
uniersity) going to fly on a Russian Rocket from a scandanavian
ship in internatinal waters wthout about 3 years of paperwork.

Here was the original web page... (but that opportunity did
get us into the amateur satellite build game and we have
now delivered 5 amateur satellites since)...
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/natsat.html

de Wb4APR, Bob
US Naval Academy Satellite Lab

>>> "Trevor M5AKA" <m5aka@hotmail.com> 06/07/06 3:30 AM >>>
It's good that the Sea Launch team are continuing their series of launches,
the latest being the Galaxy 16 satellite, see

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/june2006/sea_launch.htm

Does anyone know if any opportunities for Amateur payloads are likely to
available in the future on this launch platform ?

73 Trevor M5AKA
AMSAT-UK Colloquium, University of Surrey, Guildford England July 28 - 30th
http://www.uk.amsat.org/Colloquium/ (see Travel for maps)

Daily Amateur Radio RSS News Service: http://www.southgatearc.org/
Add News Service to your Website: http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/index.htm
Add News Service to your PC: http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/newsreader.htm