Re: GPS reference frequency standard?

---- Original Message -----
From: "Alan P. Biddle" <APBIDDLE@mailaps.org>
Subject: [amsat-bb] GPS reference frequency standard?

> At one time, there were some surplus HP units which could extract a GPS 10
> MHz reference frequency.  They used to be advertised in QEX, but are no
> longer available.  There is always eBay, but I was wondering if there is a
> better solution?

Hi Alan,

I assume you are talking about the Z3801A's that were floating around a
number of years ago?? They were a good deal when they first came out and are
still available, but at much higher price. I was fortunate to pick one up
early on. It's been running in the shack for over 3 years now as a reference
for my test bench (counter, weak signal sources etc) and it drives my
DSP-10.

What is your goal for stability? and what are you willing to pay?

> The idea is to
> have a shack standard for calibration purposes, plus I see that the
> SDR-1000
> has a optional 10 MHz input.

You might look here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/n1jez/index.html

With stability within a few Hz/GHz it might do the trick? A lot of us
Microwave guys are using these.

73,
Mike N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649