RE: Re: 13 Satellite are not amateur satellites

With all due respect to those who say these cubesats are not amateur
satellites; as far as has been reported, all thirteen have been
frequency coordinated through the IARU, the International Amateur Radio
Union, which is the governing body for this function, not AMSAT,
although the IARU works closely with AMSAT, as well as the satellite
society organizations in other countries.

The IARU has published guidelines for satellites to be frequency
coordinated.  The entire document may be opened by clicking on the link
to the PDF at the bottom of this link:
http://www.iaru.org/satellite/sat-freq-coord.html

Section VI of this document lists the Operational Guidelines for a
satellite before it can be coordinated by the IARU's committee, which is
led by Hans, ZS6AKV.  Part B of this section reads:

"B. Station Control - who may operate a transmitter
All stations operating in the amateur service and the amateur-satellite
service, including space stations and Earth stations, must be controlled
by "duly authorised persons," that is, individual licensed amateur radio
operators who must be acting "solely with a personal aim and without
pecuniary interest." [See RR 1.56 and 1.57]"

I assume that Hans and his group have duly investigated any and all
applications for frequency coordination.  I would also assume that the
Committee would correctly deny an application that did not meet this
requirement.

Since the committee has approved the applications, these satellites ARE
amateur satellites and anyone who states otherwise has some other,
non-legitimate, guideline by which to make this argument.

Now, an OSCAR designation is a wholly different matter.  This
designation is approved by AMSAT, and the guidelines for this are
published on www.amsat.org.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO