Re: 13 Satellite are not amateur satellites

> Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:54:28 +0200
> From: "hans" <hans@intekom.co.za>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] 13 Satellite are not amateur satellites
>
> Hi all
>
> I have seen some debate on the AMSAT BB following a mail that said that 13
> Amateur satellites are being launched in June.
>
> These are strictly speaking not amateur satellites but cubesats built by
> Universities in the USA and elsewhere in the world. These satellites will
> operate on amateur frequencies and can  indeed be of interest to radio
> amateurs.

	In all due respect to my good friend Hans, I must disagree with part of
his statement. Under certain circumstances, a CubeSat CAN AND SHOULD BE
considered an amateur radio satellite.  If you read the AMSAT mission
statement on our website, you will note that education is a major part
of what justifies our existence.  Satellites designed and built by
students can help us to fulfill that mission.  I remind you all of the
numerous early OSCARs that were built by students in Melbourne, Surrey,
Marburg, Weber State, Japan, and elsewhere.  All were true ham
satellites, even those that only carried beacons.  Of course, AMSAT
members enjoy QSOs relayed via satellite -- but that's only one aspect
of amateur satellites.  Another is encouraging the next generation of
hams/technologists.  With proper guidance from their mentors/advisors
(most of whom are hams), the students who build the CubeSats can be the
leaders of that generation.  And with encouragement from you, the AMSAT
membership, many of them will also become hams, and AMSAT members, and
staunch supporters.  Considering their efforts worthy to be called
amateur satellites is an easy way to encourage their progress.  It costs
AMSAT nothing, and can only benefit amateur radio.
	BTW, OSCAR I would not fit the definition that many today apply to
amateur satellites.  But it motivated a whole generation of students to
get involved in amateur radio, and space science.  I know -- I was one
of them.
	73, Paul N6TX

--
Dr. H. Paul Shuch, N6TX