RE: 13 Amateur Satellites to Launch in June

Just a few observations from the sidelines and ignoring the frequency
allocation issues...

Whilst Cubesats may not fulfil the wishes of the advanced users (if I may
call them that) it is obvious from the number of posts they promote active
debate which is good.

OK the sats many would like at the moment are not there but if just a few of
those involved with the Cubesats go on to be actively involved in larger
projects surely that is good?

If those involved with the Cubesats are aware of the importance of the
Amateur allocations; that may also be to our advantage when they move on
into industry.

Cubesats are great to promote interest amongst newcomers.  They can
generally be relied upon to 'appear' when predicted and make a noise!

Those Cubesats using CW telemetry make participation possible for those not
equipped with more advanced equipment and provide a useful incentive to
learn the code.  (OK, I know some cheat and use a computer!)

I agree with the comments on the telemetry decoding, nice to be able to
demonstrate the 'noises' actually mean something.

Bottom line, they promote interest and involvement achievable and
repeateable within a short time scale.  As one of the others has indicated
what newcomer is going to remain interested if the results are 10 years down
the line?

David
G8OQW