Re: Re:13 Amateur Satellites to Launch in June

The purpose of the cubesats is to allow students to design and build a
satellite and have a good chance of having it launched before they
graduate. If you look at any of their websites, you will see that the
students group into teams developing each part of the cubesat. These
teams have to communicate and coordinate with each other. The cubesats
are probably the students first satellite design effort. To have a
better chance of success, it is best to keep the satellite small and
simple and low cost. The cubesat size also lets the university to afford
to pay for a launch.

Universities have been building larger satellites and those satellites
usually sit for many years before getting a free ride. I think Sapphire
sat for up to 10 years waiting for a ride. The students are long gone by
the time the larger satellite is launched. They don't see the  results
of their work.

With the cubesats, the universities pay $40K for a ride. There are no
"give away" launches. I've been involved with cubesats since nearly the
beginning. The kits are relatively cheap compared to the required effort
and failure rate to meet the mass requirements and structural integrity.
A lot of the cubesats are being designed and built by very inexperienced
students. So yes, a lot of the satellites will just put out telemetry
and not much else but it is a learning experience. A lot of the students
do not know how to design and build a working linear transponder let
alone any kind of radio. I like the beeping cubesats. It gives me
opportunities to show kids how to track satellites and collect telemetry
at the cansat summer camp I run every year.

Stensat is starting to build radios for some of the universities. We are
also starting to look into developing amateur radio specific payloads
and make them available to universities. There is no reason others in
the AMSAT community cannot do the same.

Stensat will be working with an organization called the Federation of
Galaxy Explorers (www.foge.org) in setting up a satellite development
program for high schools. We plan to get the school set up with an
amateur radio ground station and have the kids get amateur radio
licenses. The kids will be able to work the satellites and get a good
idea of how they work so they can develop their satellite. We will make
sure the cubesat can provide the amateur radio community some type of
service. It may start out as a packet repeater or APRS. If others in
AMSAT want to join in, we can use a low power tiny linear transponder.
How about an SSTV payload or the new digital SSTV payload.

So what is a good price for a ham level cubesat?

Ivan