Re: WD9EWK from Dayton (18-22 May 2006) - long

Hi Iain!

> Wow! You were busy.

Well, a little busy.  ;-)  I woke up early, stayed up late, and the
satellite passes
were at decent times.  Since this was the first HamVention trip for me and my
father-in-law (George W7ON), we wanted to take in as much as possible in our
time there.  I didn't even think to check on AO-27, which would have
been nice to
work in the afternoons to fill in the long gap between AO-51's morning
and evening
passes.  SO-50 worked out for me with its morning and late-evening passes.

As for the 300-mile road trip after the HamVention on Sunday, let's
just say that
my father-in-law pushed our rental car to get to those spots so I
could get on for
those passes.  I told him where to go and when we needed to get there, and he
got us there on time.  Better than Northwest Airlines did for our
flights to Dayton!

> Yes, my Yaesu VX-5 was clobbered by the intermods. When I operated from Tipp
> City, I appeared to get in to AO51 and hear myself OK. But from the Arena, I
> didn't even try.

I brought all 3 HTs since they all could be used with satellites in
some form.  Even
the VX-2R.  I've only used that little radio with the Arrow Yagi I
have, but I thought I
could press it into service if needed with a long whip.  After seeing it get
hammered by the intermod with its stubby duckie, that stayed in my pocket.  I
thought the IC-T7H would resist the intermod better on 70cm than the IC-W32A,
and it worked.  I'd prefer not to manually switch between RX and TX
frequencies,
but that was my only option if I wanted to operate at the HamVention (unless I
bought, or borrowed, a different radio).  Operating full-duplex is
obviously the best
way to go with the satellites, but there are options if that is not possible.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix AZ
http://www.wd9ewk.net/