Re: Yaesu Azimuth Clamp

>I have had trouble holding position with the Yaesu 5400 cast azimuth clamps.
>I am thinking of drilling a 1/4 inch hole through the center of the
>clamps and my aluminum mast (2"od and 0.25"wall) and putting a
>stainless bolt through. I suppose this somewhat weakens the casting
>and would have to be careful not to tighten the bolt too much as I
>think there is a gap between the casting and the pipe at that point.
>
>Has anyone done this or do you have any advice?

Yes, Ron, I did that many years ago with my 5400's, and both of them
up that way for I would guess over 15 years, with no problems...Of
course our winds in San Diego rarely get up over 20-- 25 knots, but
I'm sure we've had gusts to 60 knots once in awhile in all that time..

I've since put up 5500's, but haven't been on the birds enough to
really tell, but their clamps appear to be holding very well by
themselves...but I know you get some pretty good trw's every once in a while...

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....

               Pulling for P3E...