Re: Online Satellite Pass Predictions

Eric:

The really hard facts are that this is incorrect.  Membership dues are
largely  spent to  cover the cost of member services. 4000 members at
$44 is $176,000 a year.  It will take 100 years to raise enough money
for our ambitions at that rate if we applied every penny to the
satellite construction and launch.  Earmarked donations provide much
needed aid to satellite construction and I do encourage our members to
donate to the construction funds for Eagle.  For those in the U.S,  I
hope you will support P3E through the AMSAT-NA web site (this will be a
tax deductible donation for U.S taxpayers) and the rest of the world may
choose to donate there or on the AMSAT-DL Phase 3 Express web site.

Let me try to explain the major changes in the world of satellites
briefly from our vantage point.

AMSAT-DL and AMSAT-NA and others have benefited directly from nearly
free launches on "experimental" launches.   There were no paying
customers for the most part and/or we were asking the launch authority
to provide a service or ability they wanted to explore. Let's consider
specifically the European situation.  On <<ALL>> previous launches, the
contracts were signed with ESA.  The last one was grandfathered when
Arianespace took over the AO-40 launcher from ESA, but that is what
happened.  ESA is not doing experimental launches for now with Ariane
launchers.  Arianespace is a for profit company.  It has accountants,
and member countries/stock holders that care about the bottom line.
They are not interested in spending huge sums of money to do the
engineering that would allow us to ride.  It is not "Hey we want a
ride!" and "sure, hop on".  It requires a large expenditure to study the
engineering details of providing us with  secondary payload status.
Just think about doing the analysis of our interconnects (electrical,
mechanical, etc.) and what our mass will do to their planned
trajectory.  All of that is real rocket science.  Arianespace is not in
the business of helping out "the good old boys and girls" in AMSAT-DL.
They are in the business of providing launches for money.

AMSAT-NA would like to get any ride it could for Eagle but we are less
likely than AMSAT-DL to get a ride on an Ariane at a price we can easily
afford.  So this leaves us looking for alternatives.  The utter paranoia
of our government (justified and unjustified) has caused the imposition
of onerous rules on our sending spacecraft overseas for launch.  These
rules are called ITAR.  A satellite is DEFINED to be a munition by the
U.S. government.  We have begun to explore some interesting alternatives
that we can only hope bear fruit in nearly free launches.  That has
nothing like a guarantee associated with it.

I suspect you are beginning to see the scope of the problem.  We need
almost as much money to launch Eagle as all previous launches combined.
Your membership dues will not let us lick the stamp to mail the request
for a launch are the cold hard mathematically provable facts.  Your
membership dues WILL help us show we are an alive and going concern to
those who MIGHT pay for our launch.  I would say we need to work on our
approach to this and our presentation of our needs and the organization
is doing exactly that.  Our treasurer and board member Gunther Meisse
(W8GSM) is really working hard on this with others in the leadership.
However,  we do have a problem that I think should be addressed soon in
the membership.  There will be at least ten people who read this note
capable of providing 10% of the cost of the ride or influence those who
could.  It should be our all consuming passion that keeps the leadership
up at night to understand why they do not choose to do so.  We need to
fix whatever problem we have that prevents them from entrusting us with
such a gift.

We are eternal optimists.  We are trying to achieve a very difficult
thing in today's bottom line environment.  Keep us in mind with your
donations EARMARKED for satellite construction.

Bob
N4HY