From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@acsalaska.net>
To: Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
CC: Emily Clarke <emily@clarke-design.com>, amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Online Satellite Pass Predictions
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:42:26 -0800

Bob,

You beat me to saying it...and I agree.  Being able to find out when a
satellite is visible is proabably one of the first things a newcomer does.
This should be easy and free.  If they are able to listen in to a few
passes, that may lead them further into satellite ham radio.  Many Field
Ops and elmers provide this via e-mail or their websites.  Amsat should
lead this...and it will make uneccesary invidual efforts to the same...thus
it is better!

73's Ed - KL7UW

At 05:27 PM 5/22/2006 -0400, Robert McGwier wrote:

 >I think it attracts people to our pieceof the hobby without them having
 >to first spend money to join.   I view this as a service we provide
 >people around the world irrespective of their ability to pay for an
 >AMSAT membership.  I can easily see someone printing out a few days
 >satellite passes down at the local internet cafe or school or library
 >and not be able to otherwise afford to get these predicts.  I hope we
 >are able to keep this out in the open.
 >
 >Bob
 >N4HY
 >

 >Steve Meuse wrote:
 >> Emily Clarke expunged (emily@clarke-design.com):
 >>

 >>> The other question this raises is whether or not this should this be
 >>> part of a members-only service?
 >>>

 >> IMNSHO, yes. If we expend effort on providing new services they should
be for paying members. We need to give more of a reason for people to
become members. (don't get me on a rant about the email forwarding service
:)