Re: Online Satellite Pass Predictions

Bob,

You beat me to saying it...and I agree.  Being able to find out when a
satellite is visible is proabably one of the first things a newcomer does.
This should be easy and free.  If they are able to listen in to a few
passes, that may lead them further into satellite ham radio.  Many Field
Ops and elmers provide this via e-mail or their websites.  Amsat should
lead this...and it will make uneccesary invidual efforts to the same...thus
it is better!

73's Ed - KL7UW

At 05:27 PM 5/22/2006 -0400, Robert McGwier wrote:

>I think it attracts people to our pieceof the hobby without them having
>to first spend money to join.   I view this as a service we provide
>people around the world irrespective of their ability to pay for an
>AMSAT membership.  I can easily see someone printing out a few days
>satellite passes down at the local internet cafe or school or library
>and not be able to otherwise afford to get these predicts.  I hope we
>are able to keep this out in the open.
>
>Bob
>N4HY
>

>Steve Meuse wrote:
>> Emily Clarke expunged (emily@clarke-design.com):
>>

>>> The other question this raises is whether or not this should this be
>>> part of a members-only service?
>>>

>> IMNSHO, yes. If we expend effort on providing new services they should
be for paying members. We need to give more of a reason for people to
become members. (don't get me on a rant about the email forwarding service :)