Feed line routings?

Howdy,

I have been wondering about the best, or at least the most common, way to
route feed lines to a typical AZ-EL system.  One school, the "tight school,"
routes the cables directly along the support, around the rotators, down the
cross mast, and then out to the antennas, with or without supports except
for strain relief.  The "loose school" goes from some point on the support
below the rotators directly out to the antennas, with some strain relief.
My impression from various pictures in The Amsat Journal and QST is that the
first is more common with relatively permanent stations, and the latter with
Field Day, DXpedition, HOA-mandated low profile, or other similar temporary
systems.  The first has the drawback of flexing and chafing over smaller
turn radii, and the second a lot more motion due to winds, and more chances
to catch on something.  By the time you have antennas for modes V, U, L, and
S, plus the preamp power and circularity switching some require, it gets
rather crowded if you do it "tightly," and lots of relatively free cables
flapping around if you do it "loosely."

I am in the process of refurbishing my somewhat congested roof tower system,
which just sort of grew that way over 20 years.  Does anybody had any strong
thoughts on this?  Hey, it's a slow Sunday afternoon, and I have to finish
my shopping list for Dayton.  ;)

Alan
WA4SCA