Re: PSK31/CW on PCSAT2: repeater enabled !

Henk,
Thank you for trying  the PCSAT2 PSK-31 uplink experiment.
As you can tell, the transponder comes on, but we
do not know where the very BIG loss is on the uplink.
Maybe someone with a KILLOWATT on 29.401 MHz
will try it.  THen someone with a KW and a beam.
Maybe there is a CB radio operator who can help
(that's a joke folks)..

We leave it enabled all the time now hoping someone will
test it more...

thanks, Bob

>>> "Henk PA3GUO" <pa3guo@amsat.org> 05/08/06 5:04 PM >>>

Today I tried enabling and transmitting over the PSK31/CW repeater (29.401MHz uplink, 435.275MHz
downlink):

Robert Bruninga, W4APR informed me the repeater is controlled as follows:
... the CONNECTED LED on the onboard TNC is what we are using to turn on the PSK-31 transponder, so
from that point on, the AX.25 link is not involved. But you do need to maintain the connection. With
no activity, it will time out 1 minute later.

Equipment used:
- Hyperterminal under Windows2000, to control the TNC inside the TS-2000X
- TS2000X sub-transceiver: monitor the 435.275MHz downlink
- TS2000X main tranceiver: for the packet connection, after that as 29MHz CW TX.
- circular beams for the 145 and 435 MHz links
- dipol antenna for the 29 MHz transmitter (uplink to the PSK31/CW repeater inside PCSAT2)

The results:
First step was to enable the repeater by connecting to PCSAT2:
cmd:hbaud 1200
cmd:c pcsat2
cmd:*** CONNECTED to PCSAT2

After the connect to PCSAT2 the PSK31/CW repeater was switched on immediately. On the audio file you
hear me on my keyboard submitting the CONNECT command (at 9 seconds), softly the command being
transmitted (at 10 seconds), and (at 11 seconds) the repeater immediately switches on:
http://home.vianetworks.nl/users/hamoen/pa3guo/pcsat2_psk31_08_may_2006.mp3

While tuning the uplink frequency (between 29.399 and 29.403 MHz) I transmitted 100W CW into a
simple dipol. Unfortunately I could not hear my carrier back on the downlink. That part of the
experiment did not succeed. But the PSK31/CW repeater was switched on successfully !

Note: normally a TNC will monitor the received signals, and not transmit until there's no signal
being received. As the repeater is now on, this will cause the TNC to wait forever in this mode....
requires diffent TNC settings.

Now it's up to someone else to try !
One reason is that I seem not to have enough uplink power, the other is that
ISS passes now start to happen while I am still at my QRL. Who will try ?!

Henk, PA3GUO
http://www.qsl.net/pa3guo (has pictures of the minimal dipol that I used)