Re: K5GNA downconverter-18volts

The K5GNA downconverter I use for portable ops (including Dayton last year) has been modified. There is a 7812 style voltage regulator inside, on which I installed a short wire jumper from the input to the output. This allows me to run the downconverter directly off a small 12v lead acid battery. Currently I use a toy car battery that I picked up at the local Walmart after Christmas. It's a 2 AH and runs the d/c well for quite a few passes.

I wouldn't recommend this for your home setup, but it works great for portable...

73, Drew KO4MA