Re: Better change our sales pitch

At 08:33 AM 5/5/2006 -0400, Luc Leblanc VE2DWE wrote:

>This came from Hearsat mailing list. If we try to push for our LEO as an
emergency tool we will
>probably be in the shadow of Orbitrax... could be a change in our sales
pitch will be needed? Why
>not came back to the basic roots EG: Good DX communications and
experimenting?

>On 4 May 2006 at 23:34, AllanStern@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Ten Thousand Satellite Modems For Disaster Recovery Organizations
>>
>> Milpitas CA (SPX) May 03, 2006. Globalstar Inc, a world leader in
providing
>> mobile satellite voice and data services to business, and Orbit  One
>> Communications, Inc. of Bozeman, MT announced today the purchase of an
additional
>> 10,000 OrbiTRAX simplex satellite tracking devices by various  Federal,
State and
>> private organizations, who will activate these units in  preparation for
the
>> 2006 hurricane season.
>>
>> The OrbiTRAX tracking devices are being delivered to support the field
>> logistics requirements of the various public and private organizations,
and will
>> allow those customers to track and manage their dispersed assets during
and
>> after a hurricane, or any other natural or man made disaster.
>>
>> The OrbiTRAX product is an integrated simplex modem and GPS tracking
>> solution that uses the Globalstar satellite network to deliver data to
Orbit  One's
>> FELIX (Field Enhanced Logistics) web based back office mapping and
logistics
>> management system. The back office solution allows the various  customer
>> agencies to track and map the location of their fixed and mobile
resources.

>> "We are extremely pleased by the continued growth of the Globalstar
simplex
>> data market and that our network is being utilized to help with disaster  r
>> ecovery efforts," stated Jay Monroe, Chairman and CEO of Globalstar, Inc.
>>
>> Mr. Monroe added, "As one of our largest distributors of simplex data
>> solutions, Orbit One, has built a reliable product and service designed
>> specifically serve the needs of emergency first responders and we look
forward  to
>> their continued growth in this industry segment."
>>
>> Orbit One CEO, President and Founder David Ronsen stated, "We mold basic
>> capabilities and reliable technology into quick, simple and intuitive
tools to
>> serve asset logistics' recovery, maintenance and delivery needs, thereby
>> improving the short and long term management of assets in often chaotic
>> environments."
>>
>> Mr. Ronsen added, "The Globalstar simplex service system, in combination
>> with Orbit One's delivery, data management and hardware capabilities, has
>> allowed us to introduce a reliable service that is well received. Better
>> information, with connectivity established between responders' resources
and  their
>> delivery systems, helps to coordinate the response effort, and serves
well  into
>> the recovery phases."
>>
>> Once these units have been deployed, Orbit One will have activated over
>> 25,000 OrbiTRAX units to the incident and emergency response
communities, since
>> it began integrating the Globalstar Simplex Data Service into its
products in
>> 2004.
>>
>> Globalstar has offered simplex data in the U.S. and Canada since 2003,
and
>> throughout Europe, the Middle East and across the north Atlantic region
since
>> early 2005. Globalstar also recently announced expansion of simplex data
>> coverage into parts of South America, Australia and the Asia Pacific
region.
>> Simplex data is one of the fastest growing company segments with the
number of
>> Globalstar simplex subscribers increasing in 2005 by approximately  300%.

Luc,

Thanks for bring that to our attention.  A couple thoughts:

First, I believe data services like Globalstar are patterned after ham
radios lead in store-n-forward satellites.  Imitation is the greatest form
of flattery.  Looks like government is actually learning from mistakes (wow).

I wonder how successful Globalstar will be in handling 25,000 data
requests?  What is the throughput of their satellite constellation?  I hope
they thought about that.

Communication (yes that is what we are about) with local officials is
always desirable (in advance) to discover how ham radio can assist.  I
suspect that comm demand will still exceed capability.  Ham radio will
still be of value.

IF WE ARE PREPARED.

How amateur radio satellite comm can help is a good subject to consider (in
advance).  I suggest emergency use is still viable.  I do not know how much
data comm is of value but, from what I heard, Red Cross and Salvation Army
both find us an asset to their emergency reponse.

The general public still has no access to comms (when telephone and
cellphone go out or are overtaxed).  I gather the OrbiTRAX  is only getting
into gov't agency hands.  Health and Welfare is still needed.
73's,
Ed - KL7UW
Amsat #3212
Modes: V - U - L - S