Re: Interference on AO-51

>That sounds like a good idea (What's the total bandwidth?)

We suggest four possibly adjacent 2m 15 KHz channels:
- FM repeater downlink
- APRS Packet (FM) (has been .825)
- SSTV (FM)
- PSK-31 (FM downlink, 10m linear uplink)
and then the linear transponder also only being
15 KHz to support up to 5 simultaneous SSB
contacts.

>and with a  series of Low Earth Orbiting satellites
>it's effectively implementing "time  division multiplex"
> - Just wait a little longer and you have a continuation
>of service when the next satellite comes within range.
>
>Although,  I wonder how the proposal will fit in with
>HEO orbiting  satellites?   Any HEO bird would be
>QRMed by the LEOs which presumably  would need to
>avoid any existing downlinks.

It could be argued that we should not be using our
very precious and narrow 2m for any HEO projects:

a) The 2m satellite band is just too narrow to be
consumed  by one HEO satellite.
b) HEO's QRM almost half the planet at a time but
there can be many LEO's using the same frequency
at the same time over different areas.
c) The lack of doppler tuning on 2m is ideal for LEO's
and not needed on HEO's.
d) HEO's move slowly and are stabilized and can point
gain antennas at Earth, LEO's cannot.  THus HEO's
should concetrate on higher frequencies to take
advantage of pointing gain.
e) LEO's are the only satellites that can easily close
the link to a mobile whip antenna on 2 meters and so
we should not be using those valuable frequencies
for HEO's which have other options.

At least that is how it seems to stack up to me...

de Wb4APR, Bob

In a message dated 04/05/2006 12:47:01 GMT Standard Time, bruninga@usna.edu