Re: Tax on Arrow Antennas?

At 07:47 AM 5/2/2006 -0400, Roger Kolakowski wrote:

>Ed said....
>
>>As I read through you e-mail I remembered a >line attributed to Mark Twain:
>
>>"God created man because he was >disappointed with the monkey".
>
>>The arrow tax kind of sums it all up.....
>
>Ed....
>
>Actually the taxes on hunting and sporting items are designed to fund many
>of the wildlife management programs which the federal government doesn't
>seem to have the money to cover. The taxes collected from the sale of these
>items are use for this sole purpose and don't go into the general funds for
>pork belly projects.
>
>This is the purest form of tax, the users of the product are the ones who
>pay for it.
>
>To get this back on track, has anyone heard of APRS tracking animals, either
>locally or via satellite? It seems that with the small GPS / transmitter
>packages available nowadays, this would be a possible use.
>
>Is there a difference between putting a GPS / APRS transmitter in a free
>floating buoy or putting it on my dog who disappears every morning? (except
>of course you probably have more control over the buoy ;-)
>
>Just musing...
>
>Roger
>WA1KAT

Roger,

APRS per se may not be used for animal tracking but wildlife tracking is
done by use of miniature GPS radio units.  Early equipment used simple VHF
beacons requiring the wildlife biologist to DF them with a tracking
antenna/receiver similar to some of our ham transmitter hunts.  But recent
equipment uses satellite radios for tracking the GPS locations.

I'm not an expert on what is used but I do know that some wildlife tracking
uses the Argos Satellite.  I know this because our company uses a tracking
buoy that uses Argos (we have six Argosphere buoys).  Before getting them I
built six VHF radio APRS buoys using the beacon chip originally designed by
Bob Bruninga and uses a small 5w Ritron data radio.

This year we are installing a couple 45w digipeaters at fixed sites this
year to extend the range of the buoys which is nominally about ten miles on
the surface of the water.  We uses a mother ship with a KPC-3/45w radio as
the primary digipeater node which will be relayed the other digis back to
our command base (in theory).  We purchased a commercial sw license for
WinAPRS and operate on commercial VHF frequencies (this is not ham radio
APRS).

You can check out what I do on my website:
http://www.qsl.net/al7eb/work.htm
73's,
Ed - KL7UW