RE: A new trakbox like device?

At 07:46 AM 4/29/2006 -0400, Anthony Monteiro wrote:

>At 10:04 PM 4/28/2006 -0700, Greg D. wrote:
>
>>I'm a little behind in my email, so this may have been suggested already...
>>
>>By wanting a device that can operate all by itself, the most effective
>>tool probably *is* a PC.  But, you don't need a big, fire-breathing gamers
>>machine; an old PC will do very well.  Or, you can build your own PC from
>>some of the small micro-ATX motherboards, an old disk, power supply, and
>>some mechanical support (I use plywood :-)).  Call it a custom controller
>>that happens to run Windows or Linux.
>>
>>Just a suggestion,
>>
>>Greg  KO6TH
>

>Friends,
>
>This is a great suggestion Greg. Older 386, 486 or even up to
>about P400 class machines are available for less than the cost
>of parts to build a custom controller. Check eBay or any hamfest
>and you will see what I mean. It is certainly better to have a
>"dedicated" device for rotor and radio control but don't overlook
>the great values in old PCs. Most of these have ISA bus slots and
>ISA cards are virtually free for Ethernet or extra serial or
>parallel ports.
>
>Best DX and 73,
>Tony AA2TX
>----

Hi Guys n' Gals:

Yep, that's why I am keeping my P90 IBM Thinkpad and my P100 PacBell
desktop with win95.  They both run DOS programs very well.  At the shop we
have two P70's that I keep to run old DOS-based Motorola radio sw that will
not even run on a P133!

Soon we will retire all the old Radius P200, GM300, and Motorola MT1000
radios as 12.5 KHz narrowband FM is forced onto us by the FCC.  There will
be a bonanza of surplus for hams around 2013.  But you better keep a DOS
computer for programing them!

In fact I am quite satisfied with my Dell Dim4100 P3-833.  The only thing
that will likely make me move up to a 2-GHz XP machine will be wanting to
run a SDR.  Then, I suppose the Dell might migrate to be a Linux platform?

I find it a bit funny that we have four computers in the family (My wife
has a Dell Dim2100) when in the 1980's obtaining a C64 was a "big deal"!
:-)  I bought my C64 to run the old satellite tracker of that
day...remember?  Had to have the separate FD since there was no HD.
73's,
Ed - KL7UW