RE: A new trakbox like device?

At 10:04 PM 4/28/2006 -0700, Greg D. wrote:

>I'm a little behind in my email, so this may have been suggested already...
>
>By wanting a device that can operate all by itself, the most effective
>tool probably *is* a PC.  But, you don't need a big, fire-breathing gamers
>machine; an old PC will do very well.  Or, you can build your own PC from
>some of the small micro-ATX motherboards, an old disk, power supply, and
>some mechanical support (I use plywood :-)).  Call it a custom controller
>that happens to run Windows or Linux.
>
>Just a suggestion,
>
>Greg  KO6TH

Friends,

This is a great suggestion Greg. Older 386, 486 or even up to
about P400 class machines are available for less than the cost
of parts to build a custom controller. Check eBay or any hamfest
and you will see what I mean. It is certainly better to have a
"dedicated" device for rotor and radio control but don't overlook
the great values in old PCs. Most of these have ISA bus slots and
ISA cards are virtually free for Ethernet or extra serial or
parallel ports.

Best DX and 73,
Tony AA2TX