Re: My preamp coming out...

On 22 Mar 2006 at 17:05, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Here are two things to check:
> What does your s-meter read when you turn on the preamp with no signal (how
> much noise does it show).

ZERO 0 nada nil The S meter does not show any increased in signal level with just a plain empty
noise only reception.

> What does your s-meter show when you are hearing the satellite at the
> horizon and then overhead?

S3 to 6  and it peaked to S9 plus 40 to 60

> From your description the preamp is working pretty good for you.  You now
> hear signals that you did not hear before and their s-meter readings are
> much higher with the preamp.

That's what i always believe but all the noise.. around the noise ratios can be detectable with
extremely weak signal as those associated with EME and those in the magnitude of suitsat.

I'm could be wrong but even if i have a Ferrari my Lada will do the job EG: taking me from point A
to B  Even if i'm running after the cutiest girl on the beach i wll not kill myself if i ended up
with another one! could be a bit less cute but to have a good discussion on noise figures the end
result will be achieved both ways;)

But the SSB test will be the next one to perform here and if someone can convince me with our
present satellite fleet that a 2.8 DB difference between a preamp at the antenna VS in the shack
will make me hear them better to a point that i cannot copy them with the in the shack option i
will climb the ladder earlier?

Remember the cute girl on the beach...

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
AMSAT 33583