Re: Re Mobile 1/4 and 3/4 Wave Ground Plane Antennas for Sats

Some comparisons for 1/4 and 3/4 wave verticals for
mobile satellite operations are near the bottom of
the http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
web page.   Good luck.  WB4APR

>>> "Mike Hooles" <Mikehooles@BTInternet.com> 03/20/06 10:40 AM >>>
Hi Guys and Girls.
I used to use a combined 2 metre 1/4 wave and 70cm 5/8 wavelength vertical
on the flat roof my Landrover Discovery.
I have since been experimenting with a simple single 2 metre 1/4 wave whip
for both the up and downlink
Back in the past one of you kind people sent me a comparison plot of the 5/8
and 3/4 which I lost when my hard-drive failed, ( now have a back up hard
drive). Is there any chance of another copy/ copies of this info and what is
the consensus of the best whip arrangement to use.
I did find that the combined 1/4 - 5/8 whips used to fail  after 6 months or
so on the roof  probably due to diesel vibration and coninuous cruising at
70mph.
On the plus side, both antennas have enabled me to make mobile to mobile
contacts on AO51 and SO50 when on the move, but I'm trying to come up with a
final arrangement.
All comments appreciated,
Best Regards
Mike G3LGR