New Satellites

I have been ( in the normal course of volunteering to maintain the
AMSAT website ) researching many amateur satellite programs.  Most
are Cubesat programmes and I want share some information.

First, I'd like to applaud the many academic teams building and
launching Cubesats.  These programs provide valuable training and
inspiration to everyone who endeavours to launch a satellite in the
amateur satellite program.  Unfortunately I cannot list them all here
as at last count there are 23 waiting launch and many others under
construction. Most are listed on the AMSAT website and if your team
isn't listed let me know about it!

[On a personal note]

I also want to share some additional projects that are up and
coming.  These include:
   ALMASAT - a project of the University of Bologna
   BLUESAT - a project of the University of New South Wales
   ZASAT - a joint project of AMSAT Southern Africa and the
University of Stellenbosch- the folks to brought you SunSat
   KiwiSAT - a project of AMSAT-ZL

I hope everyone will take the time to research these projects and
learn how they support Amateur Radio and the Amateur Satellite
Service. P3E and Eagle need your support, but please consider
learning about these other fine projects and lending support to them
if you can.  My personal remarks follow.

I would encourage fans of SSB/CW satellites to take note of
KiwiSat.  KiwiSat is being built by a small group of ham radio
operators in New Zealand, building the type of satellite I hear
everyone pine over - a linear transponder.  If you like AO-7, FO-29
or VO-52, KiwiSat needs your support.

ZASAT will probably bring as much excitement to amateur radio as
SunSat did - which was a lot!  I wasn't around for SunSat so using a
Parrot repeater is going to be very exciting for me and many new
hams.  The "user oriented" access by CTCSS proposed by the ZASAT team
is very exciting!

ALMASat is an excellent satellite from the University of Bologna and
is doing some very interesting experiments.  Many of these are
similar to what we have come to expect in an amateur satellite, but
many others are unique and important to our mission.  They have some
very exciting stabilization techniques, and are also experimenting
with a re-entry concept.  ALMASat is a;ready complete and waiting for
a launch date (as are many projects) but look forward to some
exciting times when this satellite gets launched.  I am sure the team
would welcome your support.

BLUESAT is based on the original AMSAT Microsat platform but with
improvements.  If you liked AO-16, you will love BLUESAT.

I encourage everyone to research these exciting projects on their
own, and contribute to the projects you feel support your vision of
what the amateur satellite programme should be.  I will - I hope you will too.

[end of personal remarks.]

Congratulations to the teams who are working hard to launch amateur
satellites. Thank you for continuing the spirit of the amateur
satellite programme.

Sincerely,

Emily (N1DID)

PS - Remarks are my own, not as a representative of the AMSAT Board
of Directors.

N1DID formerly W0EEC - CM87tm

Donate to AMSAT at http://www.amsat-na.com/donation.php
Support Project OSCAR - http://www.projectoscar.net