An Observation.

An Observation from Norway.

2m and 70cm knife-edge propagation is a well known phenomenon for those that
live in mountainous areas.

Theoretically, from my QTH on Frei Island I shouldn't be able to work North
America on a low earth orbit satellite due to the proximity of the extreemly
high mountains from N.N.W. of my antenna array to S.S.E. and since antipodal
propagation is not as common this far north as it is nearer the equator the
chances of satellite DX on a LEO are minimal ... though almost permanent
auroral propagation makes life interesting via satellite ... remember, the
signal traverses the ionoshere twice!.

That being said, by careful monitoring of a tracking program it is possible
to find an AO-7 orbit where knife-edged propagation could be used to "sneak"
around the edge of the mountains.

Bearing in mind an average 2 x 6 array has less than the more common 3dB
half power point the "aiming" has to be fairly accurate. For the newcomer
this means that only half of the uplink power will actually manage to scrape
around the mountain ... (reflection and refraction also has to be taken into
account, likewise eventual ground gain) ... therefore, there are a lot of
variable to contend with ... not least the idiosyncracies of the ionosphere
as well as the polarisation of the signal.

However, being an AO-7 afficiondo I've been trying for quite some time to
defeat these mountains and get into the States while working AO-7.

Imagine my surprise therefore when after repeated CQ's I finally heard
LA2QAA de K8DID.

I used to work the States daily on AO-13 but a relative LEO like AO-7 is a
different matter from this particular QTH on Frei Island. JP33WB.

The moral of the story? ... don't give up, give it a try, you never know.

It was well worth the effort.

Good 'un! Ron mate!.

73 John.   <la2qaa@amsat.org>