AO-51 Mode V/S

I've been trying to get on AO-51 Mode V/S each evening for the pass that
covers all of the continental U.S.  A couple of nights I only heard
W5RVB and N5UXT.  But tonight I made four contacts: N5UXT, W2NBJ, KC8ZFN
(handheld), and W0LMD (handheld).  I also heard KG5GT, but he didn't
answer my call.

I'm using computer-controlled Doppler tuning, but fairly often I
manually tweak the receive frequency for best FM quieting.  My 5W uplink
(to a 7x7 Yagi) is solid.  I'm receiving the S-band downlink with a 1.2m
mesh dish, patch feed, DEM preamp, and TSI downconverter.  The signal
strength was S9++ most of the time, with occasional fades into the
noise.  I'm not sure why my CP patch gets such deep fades of the
satellite's linear antenna, unless the body of the satellite
occasionally obstructs the antenna.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik