Re: Will G-5400 rotor work with G-5500 control box?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian F. Wruble" <bwruble@ix.netcom.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:46 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Will G-5400 rotor work with G-5500 control box?

> Hello all:
>
> Sunday, just as I was preparing to shut down the station at my weekend
QTH,
> I noticed that my Yaesu G-5400 rotor controller box showed no lights and
> appeared to be dead.  I checked the fuse, and I checked the line power,
both
> OK.  I did not have time to open the box and look further.  I have a
G-5500
> in spares, ready to install when the weather improves.  In the meanwhile,
> have these questions:

> 1.  What are the obvious places to begin troubleshooting the G-5400 box?

Hi Brian, W3BW

If the pilot lamps PL1 and PL2 do not lights ON
If the AZ and EL meters are showing 0 degrees
If the motors do not move at all

Than the primary winding of transformer do not receive power
because or the power cord is open or the ON/OFF switch is defective
or the fuse older is defective.

If the above items are in order it is possible that the primary winding
is open.

> 2.  Will the G-5500 box work with the G-5400 rotor as a stopgap fix?

It will work only if you connect a 100 uF 60 volt AC capacitor across
the terminals A4 and A5 of the G-5500 box.
Infact the above capacitor C34 wich is included inside the G-5400 box
is not actually included inside the G-5500 box because this capacitor
C34 is internally mounted and connected in the cast of the original
G-5500 AZ  rotor.
I have sent to you both schematic diagrams for an easy  understanding
and troubleshooting.

> Tnx in advance for any help.

> 73 de Brian W3BW

73" de