Will G-5400 rotor work with G-5500 control box?

Hello all:

Sunday, just as I was preparing to shut down the station at my weekend QTH,
I noticed that my Yaesu G-5400 rotor controller box showed no lights and
appeared to be dead.  I checked the fuse, and I checked the line power, both
OK.  I did not have time to open the box and look further.  I have a G-5500
in spares, ready to install when the weather improves.  In the meanwhile, I
have these questions:

1.  What are the obvious places to begin troubleshooting the G-5400 box?

2.  Will the G-5500 box work with the G-5400 rotor as a stopgap fix?

Tnx in advance for any help.

73 de Brian W3BW