LEO but not so low

What ever happened to the great 800-1000 mile high orbits that AO7 and FO29
are in?  Are those opportunities gone forever?  We seem to be aiming lower
and lower, viz.VO52.  Eagle and P3 are exceptions, of course.  We can
imagine the fun with an Echo-type bird up another few hundred miles.

I've been on FO29 recently, with 5 watts or less from an FT817.  Lots of
Eu. sigs, and some QSOs too, using a second FT817 for receiving.  Can even
hear my own downlink now and then!  Not as easy as the FM birds, but lots
of fun.

73,
Tony, N2UN