FW: Wimo Helix for 23 cm

-----Original Message-----
From:	Colin Boys [SMTP:c.boys@barrycontrols.co.uk]
Sent:	07 March 2006 15:51
To:	'Gary "Joe" Mayfield'
Subject:	RE: [amsat-bb] Wimo Helix for 23 cm

-----Original Message-----
From:	Gary "Joe" Mayfield [SMTP:gary_mayfield@hotmail.com]
Sent:	07 March 2006 13:01
To:	amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject:	[amsat-bb] Wimo Helix for 23 cm

Hi Joe
I spent many hours trying to get a 20T helix to give me a reasonable vswr.
This was on 70cm for AO40. Built using Micro-bore central heating copper tubing
and made to the dimensions in the RSGB Handbook.

The solution was to attach a short length of pipe at the N connector and start of the helix.
This was 1/4 wave long and following the curve of the helix at about 3cm spacing.
This resulted in a very good vswr and the LELIA power monitor considered my 35W input
to be excessive. That was the first time. The following day AO40 died.

It worked for me, but I am not a techie.
73,s
Colin
G8BCO/M0FRS

Spring is coming --- and I have gathered almost everything for an L Band
uplink.  Does anyone have any experience with the Wimo helix for 23 cm?  It
appears they have 3 models with 10, 20, and 40 turns.  Is there any point to a
40 turn helix?  I thought after 15 to 20 turns they didn't improve.

Thanks and 73,
Joe
kk0sd
AMSAT # 21357