RE: JOhn Kraus antennas

Bob

> I am considering purchasing this book.  Does anyone have it and your
> opinion.  Does it have practical applications or is it all theory?

I have the second and third editions. The third edition (2001) is slightly
renamed (Antennas For All Applications) and has been published in a
paperback version at 1/3 the cost of the hardback. I have a feeling after a
little googling that the paperback was only released as an international
edition - Amazon doesn't seem to stock it in the US for example, but does in
the UK.

Understandably, the coverage of the axial mode helix is extensive, but it
covers an awful lot of other ground too. It extensively references other
texts, and to this end I found in some cases I was left with more questions
than answers when trying to dig deeper into some designs.

There is no other book to touch it IMHO. You do not have to have a PhD in
mathematics to benefit from it, although there is still plenty of math in
there for those so inclined.

It is also available on prescription from your doctor as a cure for chronic
insomnia.

73, Howard G6LVB