From: John Heath [mailto:johnheath@easynet.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 2:50 AM
To: Paul Proefrock
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AMSAT Journal info

Hi Paul,
 Welcome to the satellite end of the hobby.
 Its the best bit !!!
The bb will keep you updated on all happenings.
Also a great source of technical help.

I suggest you browse the Amsat NA site, it has everything you need. If you
want a superb book get The Radio Amateurs Satellite Handbook by Martin
Davidoff K2UBC. I use mine all the time, good practical info and a great
reference.

To get started, see what radio capabilities. 70cms,2m,FM,SSB etc and check
out which satellites you can use.
Putting the satellite name into Google will often take you to a web site
written by a person who is regularly on that satellite so you get some good
practical tips.
Suggest you listen to a few passes to get the hang of things before you try
a QSO.  The big benefit of satellite working is that you hear your own
signal coming back so you can tell if you are on frequency and making it
into the satellite. K5OE and G6LVB have excellent construction stuff on
their sites if you like to make antennas.

Have fun and perhaps see you on the birds.

73 John g7hia