Re: Pocket computer (IPAQ) easy for track SATS?

Quoting cor PD0RKC <skyman@hetnet.nl>:

> Hello All,
>
> Last days i've been busy to track AO-51 portable (in my back yard).
> I use a MASPR 2/70 yagi.
> http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl/masprowh59.html
>
> The AO-51 signals where good but it was very busy on the AO-51 so
> I could not find a empty space to TX (with my 5 watts Yaesu VX-7R HT).
>
> I'm thinking to buy a pocket PC (IPAQ) but I still doub cause there
> is a limit in software for these types of mini computers.
>
> Does anyone know what amateur software is written for the pocket
> computers?
> How many different sat trackings software has been made?
> What is your expiriance?
>
> 73's Cor PD0RKC
> http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl
> ----

http://www.g6lvb.com/it_ft817.htm

Howard's article describes using a Windows CE palmtop to run Instanttrack
and Instanttune. You'll need a DOS emulator. When I last looked into it,
one of the companies Howard lists was no longer selling these things. On
the plus side, if you only need this device for satellite use, you could
get a quite cheap one, and be sure that it has a serial port, too.

If one used an IPAQ or Axim, which use USB to communicate, would a
USB-to-serial converter work, I wonder.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP