Re: New soundcard modes via satellite

KT2Q wrote:
> All,
>
> About 6 years ago, Peter Klein (KD7MW) and I had some fun with digital
> soundcard modes PSK31 and Hellschreiber via satellite. See Peter's
> article, "Exotic Modes In Space" (AMSAT journal, Jan/Feb 2000).
>
> At the time, PSK31 did fair job with AO-10's slow doppler rate, but it
> was immpossible to QSO with PSK31 on LEO's without an aggressive AFC.
> Feld Hell had a tolerance for doppler, but was less sensitive.
>
> I've been experimenting with Olivia and Contestia on FO-29 and VO-52 and
> they seem to be well suited for satellite when configured correctly.
> I've been testing the modes by recording the downlink and then playing
> it back to the soundcard running MixW.
--- snip ---
Hi,

About a week ago, a couple of comments were posted about using DominoEX
on satellites. The author of this software (Con ZL2ALP) is a member of
the club that I belong too and I spoke to him about DominoEX after the
last club meeting. By sheet good luck, Murray ZL1BPU was in town and Con
had invited him to our meeting. Murray is the man behind the concept and
theory of DominoEX.

They explained that they continue to experiment with DominoEX, but that
their intention was to demonstrate the concept, rather than build an
elegant software package.

They were very pleased to hear of interest from satellite users. They
are both keen experimenters on HF and imagined that the mode would be
most useful on 40 and 80 metres. DominoEX is able to cope with frequency
drift and should therefore track Doppler (from it's own AFC) while the
signal is inside the radio's passband.

I have downloaded a copy of DominoEX and will try the mode on some of
the linear satellites. This will not cause any problems as there are
seldom other stations active on passes East of my QTH. If there are any
stations in ZL or VK who would like to join me in some tests, please
email me.

DominoEX can be downloaded from http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/

Con tells me that DominoEX is part of the latest version of MultiPSK.

Sil - ZL2CIA