RE: Isolation transformer and 9600 baud.

John and Mak,

Clearly I was ignoring the need for low frequency response.  Thanks for the
correction!

So, if a transformer isolation is not a viable option, could one use
capacitors on both sides of the data line to give protective isolation, and
still handle the signal properly?   Consumer sound cards have rather unknown
robustness.  Of course I have been operating a hardware TNC, tied to the
computer through the serial port, for years with no smoke.

Alan
WA4SCA