Difference between 9600 bps DFM Satellite and 9600 DFM Terrestrial

So I'm reading a product review on the Icom 820
(http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/103.html) on the AMSAT website
and it says it will not do 9600 bps DFM Satellite without a modification.
You have to go directly to the discriminator blah blah blah to get it to
work.  But then immediately below that it says that 9600 bps DFM Terrestrial
is "out of the box" capable.  Maybe it is too early in the morning but I
can't fathom the difference between the two and why you would have to go to
the discriminator for one and not the other.

Can anyone give me an explanation for this phenomenon?

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]