Newbie and equipment

I am new to satellites and trying to figure out which equipment
configuration is going to be the most cost effective. I am aware of the
Yaesu FT-847 and the Icom 910H. Big bucks but nice machines.

Are there lesser configurations that will work equally well? If the goal is
to be able to operate on 2m/70cm, SSB, CW & FM and full duplex, what
machines are others using? Are there any disadvantage to your suggested
configuration? (ie, no computer control)

I am hoping to start a thread that reports "I use a Yaesu FT-736" or " I use
separate machines, Icom 275 and 475"

Once we figure out which machines are most popular, then I'll tackle the
antenna questions.

Thanks in advance for your help - hopefully you can help me avoid purchasing
something that I regret 3 months later.

Paul P

K0PRP