Re: Re: [bod] A web search tool that costs you nothing and generates donations to AMSAT

I think it *is* worth mentioning that not everyone owns Windows-based
computers, mainly because this is something of a perception issue in
the ham community and us Mac folks often get second-class citizen
treatment when we try to get support for ham applications in OS X.
It's better now than the OS 9 days (shudder), but not by much.  One
reason you don't see me on PSK31 at all is the surprisingly
indifferent treatment I've received when trying to find an OS X
compatible version of DigiPan -- Mac folks are stuck with MultiMode
which is tolerable but not user friendly.  Rather than buy ANOTHER
machine just to run PSK31, I decided the mode was going to be just
too much trouble and I went on to other things.

I think what gets a lot of people riled on this thread is the
appearance of yet another "Windows only" perk for hams that none of
the rest of us get to use .. it's not so much this one tool, which
admittedly isn't a must have, as it is the Windows-only attitude
people like me run into on a daily basis.  Even ARRL has essentially
told me "get Windows and we'll talk" when I asked if they would
consider converting some of their CD publications to a more cross-
platform version.  And before everybody flames me, yes, I know most
of these ham tools are developed by individuals with limited
resources and nobody's interested in developing for Macs because
they're too busy building Windows code, etc, etc, but it's still an
attitude that turns a lot of people off.  And the ham community
doesn't exactly have unlimited goodwill outside its own boundaries.

On Feb 14, 2006, at 5:40 AM, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Who gives a rip about what websearch tool or browser you use or
> whether you
> like MicroSoft.  Those that can utilize this search tool to help
> raise a
> few more bucks should.  If you can't or won't use it....then send
> Amsat
> support some other way...geesh my delete finger is getting sore
> from this
> thread.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]