Re: TNC availability question - a follow up reply

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil" <phillor@telstra.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 8:02 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] TNC availability question

Hello,

I have been overwhelmed by the response to my question about finding a
suitable TNC; thank you. Rather than answer each person individually I've
decided to answer publicly.

My first choice was the KPC-9612+ TNC by Kantronics and the online manual
indicates that it will operate at 300 baud. In the absence of a reply from
Kantronics I posted a question to the Amsat list just to verify that it
would operate at HF. Several people told me that although it does operate at
300 baud it does not generate the correct tones for HF operation. It's
probably safe to assume that the rest of Kantronic's TNCs have the same
shortcomings.

Several people mentioned Symek and Time Wave's TNCs. I'll have a look at
their sites after I post this. Perhaps they will be more responsive to a
potential customer's enquiry.

I've also tried to buy older TNCs without success and Ebay won't accept
registrations from my ISP's customers and I refuse to take out a credit card
to satisfy Ebay's registration requirements.

Anyway, thanks again. Maybe I'll be back in business sooner than I thought.

Regards,
Phil.