Re: A web search tool that costs you nothing and generates donations to AMSAT

   It is unfortunate to say this, but this toolbar item is worthless to those
who do not run Windows.  Worse yet, this is only for Internet Explorer,
which is one of the most dangerous programs on Windows, in terms of
security.  IE *should not be used*.  Period.

   There is no other program on earth which has the track record
that IE has, is a spyware/adware magnet and in general, givers users
an increased chance of getting little treats from the net.

   I feel badly saying this, because AMSAT could possibly make some
money if people used this toolbar.  Just how much I don't know, but
certainly every little bit helps.  So while I feel like I'm raining on a
parade here I can't stand by and hear of enticements to use IE.  I'm a
systems administrator where I try to keep about 80 Windows Sheep from
being sheared by things on the net.  Having my people not run IE (and
Outlook) has likely been the single best move I made to improve security.

   The Firefox and Opera browsers are far FAR safer to use.  Both have had
secuity problems but the teams have come out with new versions, and
have reacted quickly.

   This isn't quite related to sat stuff, but then again it is, given how
important computers are in this aspect of our hobby.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82