Re: [bod] Re: AO-54?--reply by K7RR

It is really straightforward.  We typically honor the requests of the
builders.  AMSAT-NA and AMSAT-Ru built it/sponsored it/got it flown.
Through their representative here asked for AO-54.   We argued for
RS-54, SS-54, SU-54, etc. etc. and when they made their formal request
for a particular name, the official in charge gave them what they asked
for.  We are not a rubber stamp.   AMSAT turned down an oscar designator
for a satellite attached to ISS because it did not become autonomous and
would never become autonomous as one of the reasons amongst others.

I have heard not one good argument against giving it an oscar designator
under the current rules.  Under the current rules, it clearly fits.  I
have heard arguments for changing the rules.  Make sure you vote in the
upcoming board elections for those people who will support your point of
view or run yourself or at least make a presentation for the change of
rules you seek.

None of my notes about Oscar 1,9, 11, etc. were serious.  I was pointing
out how the arguments applied now would have resulted in no oscar
designator for the earlier satellites.  If the rules need changing,  put
together a proposal and submit it to the board.

Bob
N4HY