Re: [bod] Re: AO-54?--reply by K7RR

> Christensen, Eric wrote:
>
>> While OSCAR-1 was a technology feat in its' day, I don't think SuitSat
>> (with similar capabilities) is looked at similarly with the ability to
>> do what we can now do with satellites.  I'm not sure how to describe
>> what I'm seeing in my head as the basis for issuing an AO number but
>> "I know it when I see it".

Eric,
	It is my opinion (and I certainly respect your differing one) that
AMSAT OSCAR numbers can, and should, be issued for a number of different
reasons.  One is certainly technological sophistication.  Another is
publicity value.  A third is educational value.  I am comfortable in
saying that SuitSat has generated more favorable publicity for AMSAT,
and generated more excitement among potential members, than our previous
dozen satellites, combined.  Yes, it's a pretty unsophisticated
satellite.  But it fires the imagination in ways a solar cell covered
ten-band reconfigurable cross-linkable software defined transponder does
not!  If we orbited an empty cigar box, and it got people that excited,
I'd be in favor of giving it an OSCAR number.
	73, Paul

--
Dr. H. Paul Shuch, N6TX
Member, AMSAT Board of Directors