Re: Hiker's Satellite Predictions

Graphic Update:
>>... it is also easy to keep track of these satellites
>>as long as you have a watch on your wrist and
>>a pencil and notepad while in the wilderness.
>>For ISS:
  - Each day, a pass is either 32 minutes later
    or 62 minutes earlier than the day before.
    And, you may hear another pass 92 minutes
    earlier or later  too..

I just did a nice graphic that shows how easy it is:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/Wilderness-ISS.JPG

All you need to know is the period of the satellite and
the changes per day.

100 minutes: PCsat, and AO-27
 98 minutes: SO-50
 92 minutes: ISS

If you hear a pass of any of them, unless its the
last one for the day, then you will hear it again one
period later (or 1 period earlier).  In addition, the
overall pass geometry is moving earlier a fixed
amount each day... (29 minutes for the ISS)

For PCsat  and AO-27:
  - Each pass is 30 minutes earlier each day.
  - Then once a week, ADD 100 minutes for PCsat
  - Once every 3 days add 100 minutes for AO-27
    (At least this works at my latitude.)

If you ever completely lose track, you still generally
know what time of day the satellite comes over.
just turn on your receiver for 90 minutes and during that
time frame and when you DO hear a pass, mark it,
and then apply the above timings to keep on track
again.

I used this while on a 2 week family trip in remote
areas  of Utah.  By not bringing along a laptop,
wife never knew I was "playing satellite" while driving
along.   To get in sync, I just monitored for half a day
for ISS, and once I heard it, then, a pencil and note
pad let me estimate passes the rest of the trip.

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob