Re: AO-54?

Robert McGwier wrote:
> Okay.  I will go and get the carcass of Oscar-1 and remove the model
> from the Smithsonian, since it was in a lower orbit and had a worse
> battery.  You cannot possibly be serious.
>
> Greg Wycoff wrote:
>
>> suitsat is a good example as to why the "OSCAR number policy"
>> http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/information/faqs/numbers.php  should go
>> under a major overhaul, it is very broad and has no real requirments
>> to be met. there is a big difference between an experiment that has a
>> life of just a few weeks and a real amatuer radio transpounder that is
>> expected to last for years providing communications voice or data. not
>> trying to take anything away from suitsat because it was a great
>> school project for the young students, and any exposer that amatuer
>> radio can get is a good thing.

Amatuer radio is not a product.  Amatuer Radio is a service that has a great
hobby aspect to it.  If you want dependable satellite communications, there are
products that you can buy!  Amatuer radio related investigation will always have
a particularly non-dependable, not-production flare to it.

Wouldn't it be great if everything was free?  Fortunately, we all get to
participate and make things happen.  Participation and/or donations with/to
AMSAT engineering projects are a great way to get something that works how you want.

I think it's great to see suitsat flounder in space and demonstrate, to all
involved and all who observe, what things are important about satellite based
radio.  There are opportunities here for a lot of people to learn something.
Some, are learning that there is a need to provide more
equipment/money/planning/time to make things happen with more bang for the buck.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW