Re: SUISAT forensics...

On 8 Feb 2006 at 15:46, Robert McGwier wrote:

> THERE IS NO POWER LOSS.  Where did this rumor come from?
>
> LOOK at the pictures up close.  You will see the bars indicate the HT is
> set to 500 mw!  The thing is powered on the suit batteries since they
> would not allow us to fly our own batteries.  The 500mw was AN
> ENGINEERING AND SAFETY DECISION MADE BEFORE LAUNCH.
>
> Bob
> N4HY

If i interpret the statement below "power loss" is generally speaking a way to
say suitsat ERP is not what we should expect from a 500mw output power. I agree
with you with the last telemetry received the voltage and the temperature
26V/12C appear to be normal and normally the HT should produce his 500mw.

I just end up a discussion with Jean-Pierre VE2AHD who succeed to copy a part
of the message and we came back at the video sequence where Valery and Bill
where mounting the suitsat system As this was not planned before their launch
they look at their labtop screen for the mounting and installation procedures
and it seems to be a bit more work than they expected.(Just remember the
laborious antenna elements pealing process).

 Is in this process something who can explain the actual suitsat power level i
don't know but the telemetry we received and judging by the deep fades from the
thumblings is it possible that the RF come out elsewhere as one suggested?

There is no issues with the "AN ENGINEERING AND SAFETY DECISION MADE BEFORE
LAUNCH." but we and many are trying to figure out why the power is not what it
should be. I think no one in this process want to blame anyone but it is
challenging to work on guessing and finding the source of the problem.

In the mean time it is a big push for those who never believe in preamps Jean-
Pierre just confirm that's the preamp who makes him hear suitsat,  As many
others this experiment will lead to modified our setup to be able to copy even
weaker signal on satellite reducing the same way the power needed to reach
them.

Lets try to copy Suitsat and follow up the search of clues who will bring us to
the root cause of the problem. I say "problem" as i'm convince the setup was
tested on the ground and the full 500mw at 1.1 swr was effectively measure at
the feed point eliminating "this" as you said to be a cause.

> On 7 Feb 2006 at 12:34, MM wrote:

>>  The exact cause of the
>> power transmitter power loss is not known.  As a
>> result it is very difficult to copy the signals coming
>> from SuitSat-1.  The SuitSat-1 transmitter and
>> controller are still working.

"-"
that holds the license."

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE