Re: SUISAT forensics...

At 05:08 AM 2/9/2006, Luc Leblanc VE2DWE wrote:

>You can do your own test a standard scanner can copy a signal with a 2 feet
>coax connected without any antenna. At low or high power!

Well, I remember in my pre-ham days on UHF CB (477 MHz) I was able to
easily access a repeater 45km away using 5W into a length of feedline
just sitting on a tin roof.  The path was fairly good, though not optimal LOS.

And after I got my ticket, I worked the local 2m repeater (5km path)
using 3W into a dummy load on a HT (no feedline at all, it fitted
directly on top).  Actually worked a station that way, just to say
"been there, done that" :)

And with about 1' of feedline, 0.5W was rock solid.  As a matter of
fact, when I had a fault in the mobile antenna, I didn't notice for a
couple of weeks, because I was full quieting in from anywhere within
30km, even though the feedline had become disconnected at the antenna
base.  It was only when I went into town, further from the repeater,
that I noticed something was amiss.

So, disconnected antenna from space being received on the ground?  If
you ask me, quite possible!

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com