Re: AO-54?

It may be a Russian call, but it is an American built system.
That could be the case supporting an AO designation. But, with a russian
call and 'spacecraft', I'd have choosen a designation that covered both
parties; perhaps ISS-Oscar 54 (IO-54).

If it is an orbiting satellite carrying an amatuer radio package and will be
opened for amatuer radio use, it should get an OSCAR designation, no matter
the quality of operation. However, I wouldn't have given the OSCAR to the
satellites that were never turned on for amatuer radio use, like PANSAT and
POSAT. A designation shouldn't be given for intent.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ