RE: suitsat/half a watt!

And how long would you expect an HT to last, key down, at 5-watts continuous
- even with external batteries of some sort?

Half a watt is more than enough.  I've worked ISS using voice, with 0.5
watts, full quieting at downrange of almost 700 miles.

Brent Taylor, VE1JH
Doaktown, NB  FN66
6M VUCC #418, AMSAT #33576