Re: Re: Suitsat I signals

Yes,

A simple design is best (less failure prone).  My thought was, if the arms
of the suit were allowed to lie open, antenna at the end of each arm with
signal splitter.  If an isolator is placed at the radio then loss of one
antenna will not affect Tx loading.  These are all passive devices which I
assume can survive space environs.

I wonder if they could use the ISS can arm to release it next
time...perhaps with less rotational effect even if lower delta-v.  I think
there are stations that could recover the signal if the tumble rate were
not so high.  But then an extra antenna might overcome that in any case.

GL, Ed - KL7UW

At 08:58 PM 2/5/2006 +0100, Achim Vollhardt wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>
>I would recommend two quarter-wave antennas.. one at the helmet and one
>at the chest, perpendicular to each other..
>
>I guess we have to keep it as simple as possible.. the more complicated
>it is, that less chances it gets to fly.
>
>73s Achim, DH2VA/HB9DUN
>

> > Robert McGwier wrote:
> >
>> If you go back and watch the release video again,  you can see cosmonaut
>> Valery Tokarev released the suit and gave it quite the rotational
>> rate.   This was inevitable because of the clear instructions to shove
>> it well away from the station so   the likelihood of a later near
>> crossing would be greatly reduced.   Given the nature of the antenna and
>> the likely patterns,  this much rotational rate will give some very bad
>> nulls and there will be times when the suit and all of its protections
>> for the cosmonaut will also shadow the signal, etc.
>>
>> WHEN  Suitsat II is done  (not if), some care will be needed on the
>> design of the cosmonaut's antenna!
>>
>> Bob
>> N4HY
>----