Re: SuitSat-1 Not the Big success hoped but,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Alverson" <kd4sfd@bellsouth.net>
To: "Amsat-Bb (amsat-bb)" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:43 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] SuitSat-1 Not the Big success hoped but,

> Also, we are fast approaching the 50th anniversary of Sputnik 1.  Is there
> any workings going on to celebrate this, specifically along the lines of
> RS-17/Sputnik 40?
>
> 73's
> Les
> KD4SFD

Hi Les, KD4SFD

The 50th anniversary of Sputnik 1 fall  day 4 october 1957 and it
was transmitting in 20 MHz a continuous sequence of about
168 dot/min...........Ti........Ti.........Ti.........Ti.........Ti.......Ti

I have a magnetic cassette with a copy on it of the original signal
received day october 6 1957 by my friend i1NU in Trieste who
at that time was using nothing of special but only his ordinary HF
receiver and  his HF antenna recording the beacon on a very early
magnetic wire tape.

Following your question I found the cassette donated to me by i1NU
and tried it just few minutes ago and it sounds good so that I plan to
play back Sputnik 1 via satellite on day 4 october 2007 hopefully
via P3E if we have this expected bird in orbit othervise via FO-29
wich actually I like very much.

Hearing the beacon I was wondering that Sputnik 1 was supplyed
by batteries lasting in operation for 21 days with a strong signal
using 20 MHz and 4 whips for antennas each less than 1 meter
long.

It worked well probably because it was made Strong and Simple.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico